The Jonesipedia

Jean Des Marets1043

Name
Jean Des Marets
Surname
Des Marets
Given names
Jean
Birth about 1043 26
Birth of a son
#1
Baldwin Des Marets I
about 1076 (Age 33 years)
Unique identifier
BEDE284AC338D81187500000C07217C7D91C

Last change December 28, 200310:21:26

Family with parents - View this family
father
mother
Marriage: about 1042
2 years
himself
Family with Eulalie Picquiguy - View this family
himself
wife
son

Note
The earliest records of the desMarets family go back to about the sixth century and it is understood that these records were compiled by Louis the XIV of France to authenticate the lines of the nobility of France and are in Paris. The records herein printed, were developed originally by Jacques Joseph de Maretz, representing the Roman Catholic, South Netherland branch, and by Louis Trip de Marez representing the Protestant, North Netherland branch, in 1732. The family is recorded as having sprung from the house of the barons of Bousis, peers at Cambray, bearing in azure a cross argent. I. Jean, Lord of Bousis, lived in the first half of the 11 th Century married a sister of Eustace, Lord of Picquiguy, in Picardy, and had a son Baldwin, who became the first Lord of Marets, a fief comprising the town and vicinity of Marets, near Cambray." ---------- ************* ************** *************** **************** From Vol. 1 of The Demarest Family, compiled under the auspices of the Demarest Family Association, Hackensack, Bergen County, New Jersey, USA, Voorhis D. Demarest, President and published in 1964. (I have typed the entire first chapter and the begining of the second chapter here-more to come when I get time). Have fun. Linda "EARLY GENEALOGICAL RECORDS. The earliest records of the desMarets family go back to about the sixth century and it is understood that these records were compiled by Louis the XIV of France to authenticate the lines of the nobility of France and are in Paris. The records herein printed, were developed originally by Jacques Joseph de Maretz, representing the Roman Catholic, South Netherland branch, and by Louis Trip de Marez representing the Protestant, North Netherland branch, in 1732. The family is recorded as having sprung from the house of the barons of Bousis, peers at Cambray, bearing in azure a cross argent. I. Jean, Lord of Bousis, lived in the first half of the 11 th Century married a sister of Eustace, Lord of Picquiguy, in Picardy, and had a son Baldwin, who became the first Lord of Marets, a fief comprising the town and vicinity of Marets, near Cambray." II. Baldwin I, Lord des Marets, is mentioned among the nobles who took part in the Tournament of Anchin, in 1096, the original call-rol of which has been preserved. This tournament was preparatory to the First Crusade, and Baldwin took part in this crusade. His wife was Alice de Tyrel, sister of Allard de Tyrel, Lord of Poix , in the Land of Cambrfay, living at Calmbray. The participation of Baldwin (I) des Marets in the First Crusade can be proven historically. His name appears enrolled among the participaants in the Tournaaament of Anchin, in 1096. Anchin was a Convent situated on a small island in the river Scarpe. Here Anselllm, Duke of Ribemont and Valenciennes, called together the chief nobles of his vicinity for a brilliant tournament, shortly after Peter of Aamiens had preached the crusade. Aall participants in the tournament took solemn oath that they would go on the crusade. The document of this oath still exists. Its text has been published in the original Latin, together with a French translation, in : 1'Histoire Genealogique de la Maison de Neufville, by A. C. de Neufville, 1859. The French text can also be found in: Dutilhoeul's "Petites Histoires de Flandres et d'Artois." The deeds in Palestine of further members of the des Marets family of Cambray and Cambresis have been described by William, Aarchbishop of Tyre, in Phoenicia, who lived in the time of the 2nd Crusade and who was an eyewitness to many happenings, in his: "Historia Belli Sacri a Principibus Christianis in Palestina et in Oriente Gesti." This work, after having existed in manuscript for many generations, was finally printed for the first time at Basel in 1549, and again, its Latin text accompanied by a French translation in 1844, by the "Academie des Inscriptions." A copy of this beautiful book is in the Royal Library at The Hague, Holland. It gives details about Baldwin II, des Marets, and his brother, Reginald, son-in-law of Josselin de Courtenay, Count of Edessa. In Chapter XIV is described how Baldwin des Marets in a nightly expedition accompanied Joselin with his horsemen, and how they crossed the river before Edessa. Aafter the re-capture of Edessa by the Christian army, Baldwin des Marets was in command of the forces which operated in Northern Palestine, on the western borders of the county of Edessa and the northern portions of the County of Antioch, mainly for the protection of the road used by the Crusaders on their way to Jerusalem. Aa station on that road was named "Maresia," for the commander. Maresia, however, was never a separate county of the Kingdom of Jerusalem. Formerly the name of the place had been "Germanica Caesaarea," so named for Caesar Germanicus. In the mouth of the Turks, "Maresia" has become "Marash". III. Baldwin II, Lord des Marets, received for his bravery in the Holy Land from the King of Jerusallem, in fief the city of "Rhosas," in Palestine which fact according to Lle Caaarpentier's named genealogy caused his ancestral Arms to be augmented with four roses, or. These completed Aarms, at least the shield , seem to have occurred on a medal which is mentioned in the Will of Baldwin's great-grandson, Baldwin des Marets, Lord of Sorick. (The original Will is still in possession of the descendants of Jean des Marets (1518-`604), the de Marez-Oyens family at Amsterdam. It had in 1656 still the seven original seals, of which at present only one is left intact.) Le Carpentier , in his work, "Histoire de Cambray," quotes the work of William, Archbishop of Tyre, folios 861, 896 and 900, so as to prove that this Baldwin des Marets, together with the Count of Edessa, Josselin de Courtenaay, re-occupied the City of Edessa in 1142, taking it from Sultan Noradin,k and that Baldwin fell against the Turks in 1145. Baldwin's younger brother, Reginald des Marets, is also said to have gained possessions in Palestine, the fief named "Maresia" after his home town of Marez. This Reginald des Marets married a daughter of the Count of Edessa. His widow, after he had died without issue, remarried with Almaaarick, Count of Joppe, who in 1162 became King of Jerusalem. The above-named Will mentions Reginald's sword which was given to him by his father-in-law, the Count of Edessa. Baldwin II, Lord des Marets, married with the daughter of Eustace Grener, Constable of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, Lord of Sydon and of Caesarea, in the Holy Land. Their sons follows." IV. Baldwin III, Lord des Marets, was the youngest son of Baldwin II and his wife,- - - - - Grener. After his two elder brothers had fallen in battle against the Turkks, and after all his possessions in Palestine had fallen in hands of these "infidels," he returned to Caambresis, the land of his fathers. Some of his ancestral lands there he bequested to the Abbey of Saint Aubert, at Cambray. His wife was Melisande de Beauvoise. They had three sons. 1. Baldwin, who follows below, 2. Goswin, who died in Palestine, and 3. (?) , whose direct line died out in the third generation V. Baldwin IV, Lord des Marets, inherited his father's possessions in the Land of Cambray. In 1233 he gave these lands to the Abbey of Vaucelles and went to Palestine. There he fell in the battle of Ascalon, in 1239. He had married Gillette de Jauche, daughter of Simon de Jauche, Governor of Cambray. They had the following sons: 1. Baldwin, who follows below, 2. Hugo, who still possessed his great-uncle Reginal's sword, 3. Jean, who became bailiff of Greveceur. (The Act of Indemnity by which this last named Jean des Marets relinquished his rights to his paternal estate, leaving them to his eldest brother, Baldwin, is dated July 31, 1287. The original is with other family papers still in possession of the de Marez-Oyens family at Amsterdam, descendants of Jean des Marets (1518-1604). "VI. Baldwin V, Lord des Marets, knight, was Lord of Sorick, Maretz, Bilers, Chesneaux, Hurtebise and Flechin. His will has been mentioned above. His wife was Ermegarde de Rambures, whose mother was of the house of Walincourt. They had five sons, three of whom are known: 1. William, who follow below, 2. Godwin, whose direct male line died out in the 4th generation. 3. Hugo, who seems to have become the ancestor of the des Marez branch of Arras, bearing five, stead of four roses. "VII. William des Marets, 6 th Lord of Marets, Lord of Loges and Cheneaux, is mentioned , according to Le Carpentier, in Charters of the years 1293, 1331, and 1335, respectively to be found in the archives of the Abbey of Saint Aubert, at Cambray, at Walincourt, and at Verger Abbey. His wife was Guiote de Hames, daughter of Walter de Hames, who in 1272 was bailiff of Courtenay, (Of this family came the well-known Nicolas de Hames, herald of the Golden Fleece, a Protestant in the eventful days of the beginning of the rebellion of the Netherlands against the tyrant Phillip II). In 1293 William des Marets sold much of his land located near the Abbey of Saint Aubert. Of his marriage two children are known: 1. Baldwin, who follows below , and a daughter, 2.___, who became the wife of Wigbold of Esquencourt. VIII. Baldwin VI, 7 th Lord des Marets, knight, Lord of Hurtebise, of half-Flehan, and of Eth, in Henault. He married Agnes de Forest, daughter of Herbert de Forest. He died in the year 1331, and his widow in 1335, as appears from the above-mentioned Charters, in which also William, his father , is named. This couple had five sons and two daughters. Of the daughters, the eldest became a nun. The youngest married with Jean de Lamelin, Lord of Fasnieres, in Henault. The sons were: 1. Baldwin, who follows below. 2. Jacques, Lord of Camerin, in Aartois, 3. Jean, Lord of Autrep, 4. William, Lord of Bossu, in Picardy, and of Fleurbay, 5. Pierre, who settled in Flanders, and whose direct line died out in the second generation. The name Jacques des Marets, Lord of Camerin, changed his ancestral Arms, adding to it a chief azure charged with three roses, or. His brother, Jean des Marets, Lord of Autrep, also changed his Arms in mannners following: quartered: in 1 and 4, in azure a cross argent; and 2 and3, in azure four roses, or. IX. Baldwin VII, 8 th Lord des Marets, Lord of Hurtebise. His tomb is in the Church of Saint Andrews, at Catteau Cambresis. He had for wife Jacqueline de Ranchicourt, lady of Remes, and of la Vacquerie. They had two sons: 1. Jean, who married a daughter of Walter (VI) of Enghien, and who left no issue. This Jean des Marets died of grief upon the news of the death of his friend, Sohier, Count of Brienne, second Duke of Athens, who had been beheaded at Quesnoy at the command of Albrecht of Bavaria, Count of Henault and of Holland, in 1366. 2. Baldwin, who follows below. X. Baldwin VIII, 9 th Lord des Marets, Lord of Eth and Hurtebise, by inheritage from his father, and Lord of Remes and la Vacquerie, by inheritage from his mother, became by purchase Lord of Farbus, in Artois. He married Emma de Neuville, lady of Carnin, in Artois. He died at Cambray, in 1395, leaving one daughter and two sons: 1. Baldwin, who married and had only two daughters. His inherited lands therefore after his death were sold or divided. 2. Hugo, who follows below. XI. Hugo, 10th Lord des Marets, Lord of Farbus, died in 1429. His wife was Guillemette de Solomnes, of whom he had eleven children. Several of these children, males as well as females, entered ecclesiastical orders, and died unmarried. Two of his sons became founders of branches, namely: 1. Baldwin. He was the great-grandfather of Jean des Marets, who married Martha de Bernicourt, which last-named couple by the genealogists Le Vaillant and the Atteveld and Jacques des Marets (born 1519). (See above). 2. Reginald, who follows below. XII. Reginald des Marets, Esquire, Doctor of Laws, was a magistrate at Cambray. He marries Agnes de la Saulx, of whom three sons: 1. Jean des Marets, who follows below, 2. Pierre des Marets, who married Agnes Shamart, of whom he had seven children, and numerous posterity, 3. Jacques des Marets, who was Canon of Saint Gery, at Cambray, and who died about A.D. 1500. XIII. Jean des Marets, Esquire, Doctor of Laws, was a magistrate at Cambray. He married four times: Johanna Rosel, Marie de Franqueville, Catharine Gerardel and Aldegonde de l'Aoust. By his four marriages he had thirteen children; by Catharine Gerardel, he had Jacques, born 1480-1500 XIV. Jacques des Marets, Sr., wife's name not found, had two sons: Jean born c. 1518 and Jacques born c. 1519. XV. Jacques des Marets, founder of the Demares family in England, was born in the year 1519, and the fact that he was a brother of Jean des Marets, born 1518, founder of the Marees or de Marez family in Holland, has never been doubted. He fled during the religious and political persecutions by the Indquisition and the House of Hapsburg in the Netherlands with his family to Norwich , in England. This probably occired in 1567. He and his family belonged to the Walloon Reformed Church at Norwich. Jacques des Marets died at Norwich in 1604, the same year when his brother Jean died at Amsterdam. His wife was Antoinette Suceur. In a power-of-attorney issued by his widow and heirs in 1604, he is called as having died at the age of eighty-five. This document was in 1732 in hands of Jacques Joseph de Marez se Sancourt, in the Land of Cambray. From the above named document it appears that Jacques des Marets, of Norwich, England, and his wife, Antoinette Suceur, had three sons, namely: Francois, Pierre (who died before his father) and Jean, of whom Francois de Marets and Jean de Marets with their families were living at Norwich in 1604. An excellent account of "The Walloons and Their Church at Norwich" is furnished by the late vice-president of the Huguenot Society of London, W. J.C. Noens (1888). XVI. Francois de Marets, or de Mares, as his name appears, was born about the year 1555. At Norwich he was a lieutenant of the Walloon Militia, a body to which the colonists were entitled. He probably lived the last years of his life at London, where most of his children are found registered in the French Church. Francois de Mares married twice. His first wife, Elisabeth Herbecq, died between 1601 and 1604. On December 24, 1604, he remarried at Norwich with Phebe du Rieu. Of the first marriage there were five, of the second, six children. Only the last child of the first and all the children of the second marriage were baptized in the Walloon Church of Norwich. On September 10, 1605, Francois de Mares transferred for himself and for his minor children, named Jacques, Jean, Elisabeth, Anna and Esther, represented by their guardians, Nicolas de Mares and Philip Carlier, to Jean de Mares, son of Nicolas, rsiding in the Land of Cambray, the fief of Cauroit, near Cambray, inherited by him from his father, Jacques de Mares, in 1604. Witnesses to this transaction were Nicolas de Mares and Louis de Mares, brothers. The children of Francois de Mares were: 1. Jacques, born about 1590 2. Jean, born about 1592 3. Elisabeth, born about 1598 4. Anna, born about 1598 5. Esther, born at Norwich and baptized there, May 24, 1600 Those of the second marriage were: 6. Daniel, baptized Dec. 8, 1605 7. Judith, baptized Jan. 4, 1607 8. Simon, baptized Aug. 28, 1608 9. Janne, baptized Aug. 26, 1610 10. Marie, baptized Aug. 11, 1612 11. Phebe, baptized Dec. 19, 1613 XVII. Jean desMarets m., possibly at or near Beauchamps, France, Margrieta deHerville, their son David was born about 1620 at or near Beauchamps, France. NARRATIVE by Mabel Boyce Spell, desc. Of (5-189) Our common ancestor was David desMarets, born in 1620 at Beauchamps, near Amiens, in the district of Cambray, France. He was the son of Jean and Margrieta deHerville desMarets. David with his parents was forced to flee from France because of their Protestant religion. They moved, in 1642, to Middleburg, on the island of Walcheren off the west coast of Holland, where they joined a colony of Belgian and French refugees. A Protestant Church had been firmly established here, and the names of Jean desMarets and family appeared as members in 1643. In this Church David married Marie Sohier, whose family had taken refuge during the first Walloon migration. The term “Walloon” was used to refer to Belgian Protestants, while the term “Huguenot” denoted French back-ground. Due to the frequently shifting boundary lines between France and Belgium, an exact date must be known in order to determine nationalities, but most of the families here were French. Marie Sohier was the daughter of Francois and Margrieta, and is believed to have been the grand-daughter of David Sohier, a native on Mons in Hainault, who married Feb. 12, 1585 at Amsterdam, Anne Crommelin from Donay. The Sohier family also originated from the land of Cambray and bore ‘ingules a fine pointed star, argent.” In the 16 th and 17 th centuries a branch of this family had memberships in the French Reformed Church in London, England. The marriage of David desMarets and Marie Sohier is thus recorded: “1643, 4 Juillet, Assiste de Jean Marets et Francois Sohier, Marguerite deHerville et Marguerite Sohier; David desMarets, fils de Jean, natif de Beauchamps et Marie Sohier, fille de Francois, natif de Nieppe, et le 19 Juillet. Marie le 29 juliet.” These dates show first banns July 4, second banns July 19, marriage July 29, 1643. Two of their children were baptized in the Walloon Chuch (misspelled in original document) at Middleburg: Jean, the eldest, Apr. 14, 1645, and David June 22, 1649. The latter died in infancy and a son born two years later was given the same name. The family moved next to Germany and in 1651 were living within the German Palatinate at Mannheim on the Rhine. French and Belgian Protestants from Holland and England were fleeing to this refuge, fearing a war between those two countries. They were drawn especially by assurances of protection and hope of religious freedom. David desMarets and his associates had, by 1652, reorganized the French Church at Mannheim which had been inactive since 1623 due to a prolonged period of European wars. A church building was provided by the Elector Charles Lewis, son of Frederick V. Following the reorganization, David became an Elder and four of his children were baptized there: David, Dec. 24, 1651; Samuel, Aug. 10, 1656; Marie, Apr. 10, 1659; Marie, May 19, 1662. It has been established defineitely by official documents that both of the daughters died in infancy; one in Holland, the other in America. Many of the refugees then living in Mannheim later joined the New French Settlement in America, established at Harlem, north of New Amsterdam. Among these appear DeVeaux, LeConte, and VanOblinus, neighbors and friends of the desMarets family in both locations. Soon the Palatinate was threatened with hostile invation by neighboring Catholic princes, and the desMarets, Virginia, USAnOblinus, and a number of other French families left Mannheim, sailed down the Rhine, and after a short stay in Amsterdam embarked for the New Netherlands on the ship Bontekoe (The Spotted Cow), skipper Jan Bergen. The date Apr. 16, 1663 may have been that of departure from Holland, or arrival in America. In the group were about 90 persons, men, women and children, the French comprising a third of the number. On the passenger list were the names “David deMaire from Picardie, his wife and four children, the ages of the children being eighteen, eleven, six , and one years respectively. Each adult was charged 39 florins for passage and board, children of ten years and under (except infants) half price. The bill for the desMarets family was 175 florins, 10 stivers, an exhorbitant amount for that period. A voyage at that date was beset by many dangers. Piracy flourished upon the high seas, contageious diseases and ravages of fever were common. It often required some months for small vessels to make the crossing, and may of them were wrecked within sight of land, due to faulty maps and instruments. The food consisted of a doled amount of salt meat (either pork or beef) with peas, beans or pudding. The portion for the week was measured and distributed each Monday morning. Passengers boiled their own food and the regulations provided “if at any time it shall happen that they are not willing the Kettle shall be boyled or by bad weather can not, in such case each passenger shall have 1 pound of cheese every such day.” Children were allowed fruit, sugar, butter and extra rations, and for the ill a supply of brandy, sugar, figs, raisins, and sugar biscuits was carried on the voyage. The desMarets family made the voyage safely and upon arrival settled first in a Huguenot village on Staten Island where they remained for two years before moving to Harlem where the VanOblinus family had gone immediately upon reaching New Amsterdam. David D’Amerex, as he was known on Staten Island, soon was appointed Senior Commisary of the local court opened on Staten Island by order of the Director General and Council of New Netherland. The appointment was as follows; “Ordinance of the Director General and Council of New Netherland erecting a Court of Justice on Staten Island, Passed 28 January 1664. The Director General and Council of New Netherland to all those who shall see these Presents or hear them read, Greetings, make known that they for public good, for the greater advancement and increase of the recently begun Village of Staten Island and for the more convenient administration fo Justice have considered it necessary to establish in the aforenamed Commissaries to wit: David D’Amerex, Pierre Billiou, and Walraven Lutten before whom in the first instance shall be brought all Questions, Actions, and Differences arising in said Village between Lord and Vassal, Master and Servant, Man, Mistress and Maid, Neighbor and Neighbor, Burger (Buyer-?) and Seller, Lessor and Lessee, Master and Worman, and other such like; Item: all Criminal Actions, consisting of Deeds, Threats, Fighting or Wounding, whether moved or instituted by party or by the Senior Commissary who until further order shall represent the Sheriff in the place. And said Connissaries (spelling in book) shall do justice to the best of their knowledge between parties appearing before them, and may decree provision of Deposit, Dismissal or Definite comdemnation as the Circumstance of the case shall authorize. But any party felling aggrieved may appeal to the Director General and Council of New Netherland, according to the custom here, from all judgements exceeding fifty guilders pronounced by said Commissaries. And said Commissaries are hereby specially commissioned and authorized to enact proper ordinances, that the Cornfields and Gardens be carefully fenced and kept enclosed, and the broken fences properly repaired. They hereby command all Inhabitants of the aforesaid Village who already are there, or who will hereafter come thither to respect and acknowledge the aforesaid Commissaries for such as there are hereby qualified and all that, until it be otherwise ordained by the Director General and Council aforesaid.” Staten Island at that time was sparsely settled and open to constant danger from Indian attacks, as well as threats of English invasion. Due to these conditions, a meeting of delegates was held first at Flushing, Long Island, and on April 10, 1664, at New Amsterdam, where Staten Island was represented by David desMarets and Pierre Billiou, a French refugee of unusual ability, who took an important part in the affairs of the Colony. At that period, according to a report made by Governor Stuyvesant, the only fortification was a small wooden block-house about 18 x 20 ft. square, in the center of the houses of the village, which were lightly constructed of straw and clap-board. The garrison consisted of six old soldiers, unfit to accompany the others against Indians. This dangerous condition was protested in vain by David desMarets and Pierre Billiou , and it probably was the unsettled condition and the constant threat of danger on Staten Island that caused the family to move to Harlem, on Manhattan Island, which they did, in 1665. It is known that one of the first efforts of David desMarets while living on Staten Island was to organize a French Protestant Church, and the present Huguenot Church, at Huguenot Park, contains a tablet to his memory with the inscription: “In memory of David Demarest Staten Island 1663 Harlem 1665 The Hackensack 1667 Delegate from Staten Island to the Provincial Assembly of New Netherland 1664 Founder of the Huguenot Colony on the Hackensack” Immediately after the arrival of the family in Harlem, arrangements were completed for the purchase of a village property, as well as farm lands, “including the crops thereon.” The village had been in existence only a short time. The first patent granted the inhabitants by Governor Nicolls in May, 1666 was confirmed and extended Oct. 11, 1666, while the Dongan patent of March 7, 1686 confirmed the last patent of Governor Nicolls. The first free-holders numbered only five, Joost Oblinus being one of the original patentees. The arrangement was for twenty-five families to be established within three years time, and there was to be a ferry across the river to Westchester. A rowboat with two oars conveyed the passengers and horses, while mules and cattle had to swim behind the boat. The ferry, completed in 1669, was at the sight of the present First Avenue and 125th St., and was called “From the Island to the Main.” The population, consisting of Belgians, French, Dutch, Danes, Swedes and Germans found it difficult to live in harmony, and many quarrels arose. At this time Harlem was laid out in lots of narrow adjoining strips, the houses all being at the same end, with the fields in the rear, planted with different types of grain or produce in adjacent plots, so that the men might be near together while working, to guard against surprise attacks by the Indians. One section was to be exempt from any “after planting of buck-wheat, pumpkins, turnips, or any summer fruits that the cattle of the village after the crop was off the field might pasture there.” The other section was to be sown and planted with summer fruits and this arrangement was to alternate from year to year. The village was surrounded by a stockade and entered thru a gate. David desMarets bought his land from John Montagne, and on October 9, 1666 Montagne brought suit against him, claiming payments had not been made according to the contract terms. The defense claimed an “arrest of money in another connection” of which Montagne professed ignorance, and David was ordered by the local court to give up the land with costs. He was dissatisfied with this decision and appealed within three days to the higher court at New Amsterdam. The higher court reviewed the case, reversed the decision of the lower court as unjust, and ruled that the sale of the property should stand. David was to repossess the land, and pay the second installment within fourteen days, according to contract. Three months later he was permitted to extend his lot “out the strand as far as possible.” Daniel, the only child born to this family in this country, was baptized at “New Harlem” July 7, 1666. The baptism is recorded in the ‘Dutch Reformed Church at New York. The witness was Walraven Lutten, who had served as one of the commissaries with David on Staten Island. From the first years of his residence there, David desMarets took and active interest in the affairs of Harlem, and joined in plans to improve the village. Fortunately, the original Town Records of Harlem have been preserved. An accurate translation of the original Dutch was made two hundred years later. The records are contained in four books entitled: “Register en Protocol Gebouden ten Durpe Nieuw Haerlem Door Jan la Montagne David desMarets was appointed to his first public office in Harlem, the position of Overseer, on August 6, 1667. He was reappointed to the same office Octoober 2, 1668, February 7, 1671, and again on Dec. 3, 1672. He was made schepen (magistrate) Aug. 23, 1673 and Constable Dec.8, 1674. A real tragedy befell the family in January 1672. Their youngest son, Daniel, was killed accidentally when five years of age thru the carelessness of a child of Joost Oblinus. The nine or ten year old boy was riding a horse, drawing a sleigh, and rode over Daniel and killed him. _____________________________________