The Jonesipedia

Austin HerrellAge: 77 years18251902

Name
Austin Herrell
Given names
Austin
Surname
Herrell
Birth August 15, 1825 31 31
Birth of a brotherHenry Herrell
March 15, 1827 (Age 19 months)
Birth of a sisterEliza Herrell
about 1828 (Age 2 years)

Death of a motherRachel Wiley
about 1828 (Age 2 years)
Death of a maternal grandfatherBenjamin Wiley
about 1833 (Age 7 years)
MarriageElizabeth HicksView this family
December 25, 1845 (Age 20 years)
Deer Creek, Miami County, Indiana, USA
Latitude: N40.5875 Longitude: W86.6331

The American Civil War Begins April 12, 1861 (Age 35 years)

Note: The opening of the American Civil War - Battle of Fort Sumter, South Carolina.
Death of a wifeElizabeth Hicks
1864 (Age 38 years)

MarriageMartha Ann JulianView this family
January 13, 1865 (Age 39 years)
The American Civil War Ends May 13, 1865 (Age 39 years)

Note: The American Civil War concludes with the surrender of Robert E. Lee in the Appomattax Courthouse at Appomattax, Virginia.
Death of a wifeMartha Ann Julian
1875 (Age 49 years)

Death of a fatherWilliam Davis Herrell
about 1877 (Age 51 years)
Death of a brotherHenry Herrell
January 22, 1891 (Age 65 years) Age: 64
Note: Henry Herrell died at home out on Bald Knob Road in Franklin County, Kentucky, USA
Burial of a brotherHenry Herrell
January 22, 1891 (Age 65 years)
Death October 26, 1902 (Age 77 years)
Burial October 28, 1902 (2 days after death)
Miami County, Indiana, USA
Latitude: N40.61436 Longitude: W86.09351

Address: Old Miami Cemetery
Note: This medium-sized cemetery was well-hidden from view of the road by a cornfield on the south sid…
Last change January 30, 201406:31:46

by: Admin
Family with parents - View this family
father
mother
Marriage: February 8, 1811Henry County, Kentucky, USA
7 years
elder brother
3 years
elder brother
3 years
elder brother
5 years
himself
19 months
younger brother
22 months
younger sister
Family with Elizabeth Hicks - View this family
himself
wife
Marriage: December 25, 1845Deer Creek, Miami County, Indiana, USA
Family with Martha Ann Julian - View this family
himself
wife
Marriage: January 13, 1865Miami County, Indiana, USA
son
daughter
son
daughter

Burial
This medium-sized cemetery was well-hidden from view of the road by a cornfield on the south side when we visited in August 1997. The other sides surrounding the cemetery were wooded. With detailed directions given to us by Helen Dye McCauley (whose ancestors include Dyes, Hartgroves, and Carnines) we were able to find the Old Miami Cemetery with ease. Directions: Go east on 1050S from Miami, Indiana to the T in the road, turn right, then the road turns to the east (left). On the north side of the road about the second field there is a lane along the west side of the field. There are two concrete pillars on either side of the lane. When you get to the end of the field, the lane turns east toward the cemetery. There are no signs marking this cemetery either at the cemetery sight or from the road. Helen gave me the name of this cemetery. It was listed as "no name cemetery" in a listing of Miami County Cemeteries I got at the Miami County Museum. Helen's grandmother called it the "Old Miami Cemetery. If you visit in summer or fall, be sure to bring insect repellant. I had anticipated a tiny cemetery, but would guess there may be 300 or so burials there, although many are not marked by a stone. We started at the southeast corner of the cemetery. There are many wide gaps in the crocked rows and sunken areas that are surely graves which are unmarked by stones.
Note
Among the pioneers of Deer Creek Township, Miami County, Indiana, USA, is found the gentleman whose name initiates this sketch, Austin Harrell. Mr. Harrell was the first to occupy the office of Township Trustee in this township, he assisted in the erection of the first schoolhouse in the township, and in many ways he was prominently identified with the early history of this part of the county. The interest he has maintained throughout the years that have intervened between that time and the present. A sketch of his life is therefore of interest here. Austin Herrell was born near New Castle, Kentucky, August 15, 1825, son of William and Rachel (Wiley) Herrell. William Herrell was the son of John and Amelia (Deacons) Herrell, and John Herrell was a native of Tennessee, a descendant of English ancestors who settled in Tennessee previous to the Revolution. The family was represented in that war. John Herrell married in Tennessee Miss Amelia Deacons, and the fruits of their union were Richard, James, William, Deacons, Absalom, Joseph, Isaac, John, Rachel, Polly, Malinda and Orrie. The Deacons owned a large tract of land on the Chuckie River in Tennessee and were prosperous farmers. About 1812, John Herrell moved to Kentucky, and settled in Shelby County and subsequently he removed to Henry County, that state, where he improved a farm and where he passed the rest of his life and died. William Herrell, the father of Austin, was born in Tennessee, on the Chuckie River, and went to Kentucky, about the time he was grown. In Kentucky he married Rachel Wiley, a native of that state and a daughter of Benjamin and Rachel (Collett) Wiley. The Wileys were among the early pioneers of Kentucky. Betsey Collett, the mother of Mrs. Rachel Wiley, had remarkable business ability for a woman of her day. She had a large tract of land surveyed, paid the taxes on it and thus acquired several thousand acres. William Herrell, after his marriage, settled in Henry County, Kentucky, USA, about six miles from New Castle, on part of the Betsey Collett land, where he cleared up a farm and made a good home, the land being very fertile. He moved to Indiana in 1833 and located in Johnson County, and here again he cleared a tract of land and made a comfortable home, which he subsequently repeated in Ripley County. His next and last move was to Miami, Miami County, where he bought a small piece of land and where he passed the rest of his days and died. He was twice married. The children of his first wife, Rachel Wiley, were John, Wiley, Isaac, Henry, Austin and Eliza. The mother of these children died in 1828, and some time later he wedded, near New Castle, Kentucky, Elizabeth Hensley, a native of that state and a daughter of Benjamin Hensley. The children by this union were Richard, William, James, Calvin, Absalom and Mildred. Mr. Herrell lived to the venerable age of eighty-three years. Throughout his life he was industrious, honorable and upright. He was a devoted member of the Baptist Church, to which his family also belongs. Politically, he was in early life a Jacksonian Democrat, but identified himself with the Republican Party at its organization and continued to give it his support. Three of his sons - William, Absalom and Calvin - were in the Union Army, in the Ninth Indiana Cavalry, and two of them, William and Absalom, were wounded. Austin Herrell, the subject of this sketch, was deprived of his mother's love and care when he was three years old. His boyhood days were spent in attending the district schools, held in log cabin schoolhouses, and when he was eight years old he came with his father and family to Indiana. In 1842, at the age of seventeen, he came to Miami County, and from that time until he was twenty-one worked for his brothers, Wiley and Isaac, who had settled in Richland Township some time before. About the time he reached his majority he married, and in 1846 he preempted eighty acres of land in Deer Creek Township. On this land he built a log cabin and in it began his married life in pioneer style. Honest toil and good management filled the days and years that followed and in due time his land was cleared and brought under cultivation. As prosperity attended his efforts he purchased other land at one time his holdings comprised four hundred acres, cleared and well improved, constituting one of the finest farms in the locality. He has disposed of a part of his land, however, and now retains only two hundred and sixty acres. Mr. Herrell has been twice married. His first wife was before marriage Miss Elizabeth Hicks, her parents being Isaac Hicks and the wife, nee Beard; there were no children by this marriage. His second wife was formerly Miss Mattie Julian, and she is now deceased. Her father, Jesse Julian, was a native of Ohio and moved to Indiana about 1846, settling in the woods in Miami County, where he entered eighty acres of land and became one of the well-known pioneers of his locality. Some ten years ago he moved to Oklahoma, where he is still living. Mr. Herrell by his second wife had four children, Frank, Lulu, Clyde and Belle. This wife and mother died some sixteen years ago. She was a devoted Christian and a member of the Baptist Church, and of this church Mr. Herrell also has long been a member and a liberal supporter. He is broad and generous in his views and has contributed freely to the support of all the churches in his neighborhood. Politically he is a Republican and was one of the organizers of the Republican Party in his township; in fact, he helped to organize the township itself. He attended the first meeting held in the township, and at that meeting was elected Township Trustee, which office he held for seven years. He assisted in the building of the first schoolhouse in the township, the money for the same being raised by subscription, and the house, a hewed-log structure, was built on his farm. During his early life here he was for a time interested in general merchandising in Miami, and he was the second man to build a "store" in the town. He built the first warehouse here in 1860. For twenty years he did a warehouse business. A man of sterling integrity, honorable and upright in all his dealings, he has during his more than half a century of life here won a host of friends.
Note
There were no children in his first marriage with Elizabeth Hicks.
Media objectAustin Herrell - Old Miami Cemetery - Miami County, Indiana, USAAustin Herrell - Old Miami Cemetery - Miami County, Indiana, USA
Format: image/jpeg
Image dimensions: 700 × 460 pixels
File size: 136 KB
Type: Photo
Highlighted image: no
Austin Herrell

Among the pioneers of Deer Creek Township, Miami County, Indiana, is found the gentleman whose name initiates this sketch, Austin Harrell. Mr. Harrell was the first to occupy the office of Township Trustee in this township, he assisted in the erection of the first schoolhouse in the township, and in many ways he was prominently identified with the early history of this part of the county. The interest he has maintained throughout the years that have intervened between that time and the present. A sketch of his life is therefore of interest here.

Austin Herrell was born near New Castle, Kentucky, August 15, 1825, son of William and Rachel (Wiley) Herrell. William Herrell was the son of John and Amelia (Deacons) Herrell, and John Herrell was a native of Tennessee, a descendant of English ancestors who settled in Tennessee previous to the Revolution. The family was represented in that war. John Herrell married in Tennessee Miss Amelia Deacons, and the fruits of their union were Richard, James, William, Deacons, Absalom, Joseph, Isaac, John, Rachel, Polly, Malinda and Orrie. The Deacons family owned a large tract of land on the Chuckie River in Tennessee and were prosperous farmers. About 1812, John Herrell moved to Kentucky, and settled in Shelby County and subsequently he removed to Henry County, Kentucky, where he improved a farm and where he passed the rest of his life and died.

William Herrell, the father of Austin, was born in Tennessee, on the Chuckie River, and went to Kentucky, about the time he was grown. In Kentucky he married Rachel Wiley, a native of that state and a daughter of Benjamin and Rachel (Collett) Wiley. The Wileys were among the early pioneers of Kentucky. Betsey Collett, the mother of Mrs. Rachel Wiley, had remarkable business ability for a woman of her day. She had a large tract of land surveyed, paid the taxes on it and thus acquired several thousand acres. William Herrell, after his marriage, settled in Henry County, Kentucky, about six miles from New Castle, on part of the Betsey Collett land, where he cleared up a farm and made a good home, the land being very fertile. He moved to Indiana in 1833 and located in Johnson County, and here again he cleared a tract of land and made a comfortable home, which he subsequently repeated in Ripley County. His next and last move was to Miami, Miami County, where he bought a small piece of land and where he passed the rest of his days and died. He was twice married. The children of his first wife, Rachel Wiley, were John, Wiley, Isaac, Henry, Austin and Eliza. The mother of these children died in 1828, and some time later he wedded, near New Castle, Kentucky, Elizabeth Hensley, a native of that state and a daughter of Benjamin Hensley. The children by this union were Richard, William, James, Calvin, Absalom and Mildred. Mr. Herrell lived to the venerable age of eighty-three years. Throughout his life he was industrious, honorable and upright. He was a devoted member of the Baptist Church, to which his family also belongs. Politically, he was in early life a Jacksonian Democrat, but identified himself with the Republican Party at its organization and continued to give it his support. Three of his sons - William, Absalom and Calvin - were in the Union Army, in the Ninth Indiana Cavalry, and two of them, William and Absalom, were wounded.

Austin Herrell, the subject of this sketch, was deprived of his mother's love and care when he was three years old. His boyhood days were spent in attending the district schools, held in log cabin schoolhouses, and when he was eight years old he came with his father and family to Indiana. In 1842, at the age of seventeen, he came to Miami County, and from that time until he was twenty-one worked for his brothers, Wiley and Isaac, who had settled in Richland Township some time before. About the time he reached his majority he married, and in 1846 he preempted eighty acres of land in Deer Creek Township. On this land he built a log cabin and in it began his married life in pioneer style. Honest toil and good management filled the days and years that followed and in due time his land was cleared and brought under cultivation. As prosperity attended his efforts he purchased other land at one time his holdings comprised four hundred acres, cleared and well improved, constituting one of the finest farms in the locality. He has disposed of a part of his land, however, and now retains only two hundred and sixty acres. Mr. Herrell has been twice married. His first wife was before marriage Miss Elizabeth Hicks, her parents being Isaac Hicks and the wife, nee Beard; there were no children by this marriage. His second wife was formerly Miss Mattie Julian, and she is now deceased. Her father, Jesse Julian, was a native of Ohio and moved to Indiana about 1846, settling in the woods in Miami County, where he entered eighty acres of land and became one of the well-known pioneers of his locality. Some ten years ago he moved to Oklahoma, where he is still living. Mr. Herrell by his second wife had four children, Frank, Lulu, Clyde and Belle. This wife and mother died some sixteen years ago. She was a devoted Christian and a member of the Baptist Church, and of this church Mr. Herrell also has long been a member and a liberal supporter. He is broad and generous in his views and has contributed freely to the support of all the churches in his neighborhood. Politically he is a Republican and was one of the organizers of the Republican Party in his township; in fact, he helped to organize the township itself. He attended the first meeting held in the township, and at that meeting was elected Township Trustee, which office he held for seven years. He assisted in the building of the first schoolhouse in the township, the money for the same being raised by subscription, and the house, a hewed-log structure, was built on his farm. During his early life here he was for a time interested in general merchandising in Miami, and he was the second man to build a "store" in the town. He built the first warehouse here in 1860. For twenty years he did a warehouse business. A man of sterling integrity, honorable and upright in all his dealings, he has during his more than half a century of life here won a host of friends."  

 

(From "Biographical History - Cass, Miami, Howard and Tipton Counties - Indiana") 

Austin Herrell - Deer Creek Township, Indiana

History of Deer Creek Township, Miami County, Indiana From: History of Miami County, Indiana Edited by: Mr. Arthur L. Bodurtha The Lewis Publishing Company Chicago and New York 1914

 

DEER CREEK TOWNSHIP

This township occupies the southwest corner of the county and has an area of twenty four square miles, being four miles in extent from east to west and six miles from north to south. It is bounded on the north by Pipe Creek township; on the east by Clay; on the south by Howard county, and on the west by the county of Cass. It was established, with its present boundaries and dimensions, by order of the county commissioners on September 1, 1847, and was named after the stream that flows a westerly course through the center of the township. Deer creek and South Deer creek, with their tributaries, afford a fairly good water supply and drainage system for the township, though the natural drainage has been supplemented by the construction of more than twenty miles of ditches and tile drains. The soil in this part of the county is a black loam, of great depth and exceedingly fertile, and in no part of the county are larger crops of corn, wheat, oats and hay raised than in Deer Creek township. When the first white men came to this region they found a heavy growth of black walnut, hickory, oak, poplar, ash, maple and other varieties of valuable timber. Much of this was wantonly destroyed by the pioneers in opening their farms to cultivation, and it is no exaggeration to state that, in many instances, if this timber could be replaced at the present time it would be worth more than the land upon which it grew. Deer Creek township lay in the heart of the "Big Reserve" of the Miami Indians and was not surveyed and opened to settlement as early as some other portions of the county. The land was not put upon the market until 1847, though a few adventurous white men had made settlements within the present limits of the township prior to that time. The earliest settlers of whom there is any authentic record were David Hoffman, Richard Miller and Thomas Pearson, who came about the year 1844. Hoffman settled near the northeast corner of the township; Miller about a mile west of the present village of Miami, and Pearson about a mile west of Miller. During the year 1845 several persons joined the three original pioneers. Among them were James McCrary, James Davis, David Armstrong, Jesse Julian, Joseph McConnell, D. C. Jenkins, James Adamson, Richard Webster, Austin Herrell and William McConnell. David Armstrong and Richard Webster afterward removed to Clay township, and James McCrary remained but a short. time. In 1846 Oliver Sandifur, Isaac Herrell, Sylvester Tumlin, J. D. Larimer, Frazee and George Swinford, John Hicks, William Mahon, Allen Busby, William Swinford and a few others established homes in different parts of the township. Immediately after the lands were opened to settlement there was a tide of immigration to the southern part of Miami county and during the years of 1847 and 1848 about one hundred patents were ranted by the government to tracts in Deer Creek township. Among those who entered lands in those two years were: John B. and B. F. Brown, Joseph A. Burr, Isaac Burroughs, John Beesly, Emery and William Daggett, John and Leonard Dixon, James Avelin, Oliver and James Jenness, Adolphus Runnells, James Adams, Lewis N. Snodderly, William Marrow, Christopher Carter, Samuel and Thomas Martindale, John Hinchman, James S. Davenport, Nathan Piles, Zebedee Wright, Joseph Graves, John and Samuel Truax, George Pontius, Thomas A. Long, Thomas Woodrick, Jesse Gettinger, George Spray, Simeon Farlow, Arthur Compton, James Lewis, Archibald Chittick, Daniel Russell, James Fettis, John Keever, and most of those who had selected lands before they were opened for entry. The first mill in the township was a small "corn cracker," which was built by Adolphus Runnells on Deer creek in the western part. Here the first election for township officers was held a few weeks after the township was erected by the county commissioners. D. C. Jenkins was chosen justice of the peace; Austin Herrell, Lewis Snodderly and Thomas Pearson, trustees; W. H. Miller, clerk; Daniel Ellis, treasurer. Runnells' mill was of the most primitive type. It was a log structure, with a single run of "nigger-head" buhrs, and the meal it made was coarse, but for all its imperfections it was of great utility to the early settlers. It was built about 1846 and continued to be the principal mill in the township for about five years. The water of Deer creek supplied the motive power. About 1850 John Hicks built a mill on Deer creek a short distance southeast of where the village of Miami now stands, and from the numerous stories told of this mill it must have been a curiosity. One of these stories is to the effect that a customer brought half a bushel of corn to the mill in the morning and toward nightfall insisted that Mr. Hicks take out some more toll, as he wanted to get home before it got dark. Another is that one day, while the mill was crushing the grains of corn at the rate of thirty or forty a minute, the buhrs suddenly stopped running. Investigation showed that an old sow had found a resting place in the mill race, effectually shutting off the supply of water. Probably the first saw mill in the township was the one erected by Oliver and Nelson Sandifur about 1850. It was what was known as a "sash saw," slow in its operations, but for several years it supplied the settlers with lumber. The first steam saw mill was established at Miami, by Alexander Blake, in 1852. Austin Herrell and Lewis Miller were likewise prominently identified with this line of business, and "Eb." Humrickhouse built a large steam flour mill at Miami about 1871. He afterward sold it to William Tubbs, who removed it to Walton, Cass county. John H. Runkle, a former county superintendent of the Miami county schools, is authority for the statement that the first school in Deer Creek township was taught in 1845, by a man named Henry Garrett, and that the first school house was built the next year on the farm of Austin Herrell, where John Truax taught the first school. In 1913 the township had eight brick school houses, valued at $3,000, enrolled 194 pupils in the public schools, employed ten teachers, who received in salaries the sum of $4,277. The Lake Erie & Western Railroad runs north and south through the eastern part of the township. Parallel to it is a line of the Indiana Union Traction system of electric railways, which has its northern terminus at Peru. These two roads furnish excellent transportation facilities to the greater part of the township. Both roads pass through the villages of Bennett's Switch and Miami, which are the only postoffices in the township. As early as 1846 a few Methodists gathered at the home of Lewis Snodderly and held the first religious services in the township. A little later a society of that faith was organized. Since then the Baptists, Christians and some other denominations have organized and built houses of worship. In the southern part of what is now Deer Creek township was the Indian village of the chief Shap-pan-do-ce-ah. In 1846 this village consisted of a few log huts and a number of bark wigwams. The next year the inhabitants removed to Kansas with the other members of the tribe of Miamis Among them was a white woman about fifty years of age, who, like Frances Slocum, had been captured in childhood and brought up as an Indian. She accompanied her Miami husband to Kansas in 1847.